top of page
  • Tracey

A routine doctor's appointment

Written on October 19, 2019

Just last week this time I was still sitting on a beach on Oahu island in Hawaii. We were just finishing our Honeymoon after spending 10 days on two of the most amazing places we’ve ever been. We ate fresh seafood, tons of fruits, drove around to fetch different waves, chased water falls, watched sunrise and sunsets and other things to just enjoy each other’s company. We were on our honeymoon after all.

When we came back, I developed some really bad cold on the flight, along with painful ear pressure imbalance that made me want to go see my family doctor. My ears finally popped after living with half of my hearing for 2 days. The sore throat doesn’t seem to go away. The doctor is only working in this clinic on Fridays so I didn’t think much and booked an appointment to go in.

Like many 33 year olds, I work full time so sometimes it feels nice to be away from the office in the middle of the day. But little did I know, this became the beginning of a series of visits to the doctor’s. I waited patiently in the lobby, for my name to be called. Friday morning is the fertility clinic so it’s easy to notice there are couples with new borns or who are coming in for their checkups while they are expecting. The couple before me was taking a long time. My name was finally called after waiting for almost an hour, as I turned around, my family doctor greeted me with a smile on her face. She introduced me to this medical student who is also with her that day. She’s a fertility specialist, when I first met her she told me she works at 3 different hospitals/clinics for her patients. She talks very fast and seems very smart. The student doctor started my treatment and I also expressed that we just came back from our honeymoon and we are looking forward to try to conceive.

After some routine questions, the doctor said that the student will check my lungs and throat. Here’s when the student started checking my neck, and he pointed out there’s a small lump on my neck. The doctor immediately said, good find! It does look like a lump. We’ll check further but it probably won’t be a big deal. She reassured me that we can run tests and schedule an ultrasound first. We talked about getting an ultrasound and it won't be a big deal. Honestly I couldn't even tell the lump is there. I don't feel it, I don't really see it either. It doesn't bother me and honestly I wasn't too concerned about it. So off I went ahead with my Friday, I even joined some of my coworkers for lunch for Vietnamese food.

118 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

D day.

bottom of page